One year ago today we launched Squarespace 6, a culmination of our best thinking in content management and site publishing coalesced over eight years of running Squarespace. This launch resulted in a period of growth like we’ve never seen before: The number of customers using Squarespace 6 surpassed the number of Squarespace 5 customers within nine months of launch. That’s only nine months to exceed what initially took eight years to create. Consider us exceptionally proud.
This momentum has been incredible, but we didn’t stop with the release of Squarespace 6. Throughout the year, we’ve been working hard to ensure Squarespace is the best publishing platform on the planet.
Some release highlights from the past year include:
- Commerce – Last February, we announced one of the most-requested features in Squarespace history; it is now possible to sell both physical and digital goods on your Squarespace website. We launched commerce with over 20 professional features making sure stores of all sizes can find a home on Squarespace.
- The Squarespace Developer Platform – Developers can now use the Squarespace Developer Platform to build a custom template from scratch, while using the Squarespace back-end for client access. We’ve seen some incredible designs and brands evolve within our platform.
- 20 New Template Designs – Since launch, we’ve introduced over 20 new templates into the Squarespace 6 ecosystem. These templates have helped countless individuals and businesses look incredible online.
- Squarespace Portfolio – Our beautiful portfolio companion app syncs with your Squarespace galleries, so that you can take your work with you on the go and share them without relying on an internet connection.
- Squarespace Note – Our note taking app is a great way to remember your ideas as you have them, helping our customers become better publishers. In addition to saving to Squarespace, the Note app also connects to email, Dropbox, Evernote, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Create Your Own Space Campaign – Last month, we debuted a brand new marketing campaign and an industry-leading homepage that celebrates the diversity of our customers.
During this time, our team has grown significantly. From a team of 89 when we launched Squarespace 6, we now stand 155 strong with a global office in Dublin, Ireland. We handle over 14,000 support tickets a week (prior to the launch, we handled about 5,000 in the same amount of time!). Most rewarding of all, our customers continue to build great things on the platform that surprise and inspire us. We showcase hundreds of these customers right on our front site – check out a few of them here.
We built the new Squarespace with the aim to give our customers immediate access to the best in modern web design, unrivaled tools to create dynamic pages, blogs, stores, and galleries, and thoughtful social integrations that always keep you connected. That mission still stands today; we’re working tirelessly to deliver new features, integrations, and designs to the platform so that you can have an online presence you are proud of. We look forward to sharing them with you in the near future.
Thank you all for being a part of the community that makes Squarespace so incredible.